I love soup! Whether it’s creamy, brothy, hardy, vegetable, lentil, or noodle, it most likely is nutritious and delicious. Within the past few years I have discovered just how lovely a hint of lemon can be in a soup. I notice it to be a common element in several of my top choice soups. Lately our local produce markets have had beautiful inexpensive bundles of asparagus available. We have been keeping a fresh stock of it at home and have been enjoying it in many meals. This asparagus lemon soup recipe is a must try; I have been making similar versions of it for a couple of years now and have never been disappointed. I think I’m finally ready to settle on this as the solid recipe, one to share.
2 lbs fresh asparagus (2 bundles)
5 cloves garlic crushed
¼ teaspoon asafoetida
4 cups vegetable broth divided
2 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons salt
pepper to taste (about ½ teaspoon)
2 cups soy milk
1 cup yogurt
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
grated parmesan cheese and sour cream optional
• Prepare 4 cups vegetable broth.
• In a 4 quart soup pot, pour 1½ cups of the broth and set the rest (2½ cups) aside. Add crushed garlic, chopped asparagus, asafoetida, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until pieces are tender. The broth may not completely cover all of the asparagus, be sure to mix it up while simmering.
• Use a blender to puree the mixture until it’s completely smooth, take extra caution if you are blending it while hot; allow steam to escape. Set aside.
• In the same pot melt butter over low heat, sprinkle flour, salt and pepper. Stir continuously- do not let it brown or burn. As you gradually add the flour to the butter it will become pasty and thick, add a small amount of the remaining stock to finish mixing the dry ingredients in. Try to eliminate any flour lumps and include the rest of the broth. Stir to a boil. it will get thicker as it heats up.
• Stir in asparagus puree and soy milk. mix together, add yogurt then lemon juice.
• Serve with a dollop of sour cream and parmesan cheese if you like.